Wednesday, June 30, 2010

New Kindergarten Quilt




Here is the new quilt made by my class, my assistant, Janet, and myself. We make one every year and this year I decided to use their handprints to illustrate one of the songs we sing. Kindergarteners are fascinated with rainbows!


We started by making a paper quilt to see where the handprints would end up and how big the rainbow would turn out. Then we laid the white cotton over the paper template to recreate the rainbow. It is hard to get small children to only make one print! They are very tempted to print until all the paint is gone (we watched them very carefully and this was a great group of 22 five and six year olds).



My friend and assistant, Janet did the quilting. We shared it with all the parents at the end of the year program and it will hang above my chalkboard for next year's kids to enjoy.


This is the back of the quilt. I let the kids make the dot with fabric paint markers and draw around them to make bugs, faces, rainbows, houses, and flowers. I think they did a great job!


I am linking this up to Amy's Sew and Tell Fridays. Go now and see the many great finishes this week!

12 comments:

  1. What an adorable idea! Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! My daughter just finished kindergarten and I can see how the kids would love doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is so great. i love it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!!
    It is a nice idea for children... I ike it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an awesome project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I love handprint and thumbprint pictures. :) The dotter painting on the back turned out really well too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This turned out really nice! I love all of the handprints. Well done!
    Now, make sure you are enjoying your summer vacation. I can't imagine teaching 22 kindergarteners all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful. As a retired Kindergarten teacher, I close my eyes and I am watching all the joy and excitement, great job. :^D

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy!