Friday, May 13, 2011

Birds flying west!

I entered another swap at Mary Lou Weidman’s blog/chatroom.  This time we are making thirteen birds each, sending them all to California, and getting one from each of thirteen other birdie makers.  The birds were to be made on a black background from jello colors (bright and cheery!).  Mary Lou sent us some possible patterns. 



030


I love the birds from the free-piecing study by Sarah and Molly.  So I made a few of those.  I also love the free form chickens spotted at Cactus Needle and several different places.  So I made birds similar to those (although less chicken-y!).  When I was piecing them individually, it was more fun but it took more time. 



034


Then I got on a roll and made a bunch all the same (it won’t matter because they will be in different quilts, anyway). I kinda like them!  I can’t wait to see everyone else’s. 



quilt 025

I haven’t managed to make the sock quilt yet but the blocks are quite a variety!

I am linking up to Sarah's Can I Get a Whoop Whoop Party and Sew Many Ways So Darn Crafty.  Go over and see what else people have been making.


Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. I love the variety of your birds, they will be fun to play with and see what our flocks look like when we put them all together.

    Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your birds are so cute! I hope I'm in your group. Love those striped legs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job...these birds are always a hit and there are other styles in the Flower Power book.
    Love your colors and legs! Such fun and so happy

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great. So fun and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these chubby birds. I'm the queen of productive procrastination, I'm starting my birds right now, I like these because they are so cute and I can see how you "hoochied" them. I hope you don't mind, but since these will be my first hoochy birds, I'm going to try your style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot believe how stinkin' cute are those birds!! I can imagine how wonderful the resulting quilts will be! Great idea, Mary Lou!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are cute! Please post the finished project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such cute and cheerful little birdies! Whoop whoop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute and funky. What a fun project~!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are adorable- I did the bees earlier and found that it became easier like you said to kind of go into production on them for the large number needed. My bees are still resting up in a nice comfy drawer...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happy!