Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pincushion

Our guild is one of five guilds participating in a pincushion swap across the country.  I made this little gem. 

 I followed a tutorial for adding the triangles around the square.  Basically, you lay out two equal squares right sides together, sew all the way around the outside of the squares.  Then mark the X on the back of one square and carefully cut the X on the top square only.  Iron it back and repeat.  It was simple to do but I didn't like how the corners were all chopped off by the next seam. 

Back of pincushion

 This was the first time I made a box like (not flat) pincushion.  I just winged it and I think it worked out pretty well.  I also quilted the top of the pincushion.  Not necessary but I liked the added dimension.  I guess I won't know who gets it.  Hmmm...  Hope they like it!  Finally,  I added some little felt balls around the edges.


Tada!